18 March 2014

Week #11 - A Sixpenny Song ¦ Transitions EP

I am getting really sick of this. Another waste of my time. Is it just me? Am I been too critical? Reviews of A Sixpenny Song by the Guardian and Independent are positive reviews, the Daily Mail (I know) review by Victoria Moore is more in line with what I think "I had to start it six times because its mundane personalities and writing style kept dropping straight out of my head. Not recommended."

Things like "She turned and walked bravely towards the staircase." or "She felt cold. Nothing to do with the weather; it was the story that had frozen her." I mean, come on.

There is also about four pages of dialogue quoted from a conversation made years ago between Kevin and Jude. Word for word. It's ridiculous and so utterly corny.

If the blurb at the back is to be believed "Roddy Doyle called (Jennifer) Johnston the best writer in Ireland", then Irish literature is in a world of shit. But we know that back-cover blurbs are not meant to be believed.
0.5/5

Transitions takes me back, all the way to the late eighties, acid house, techno, 808 State and the Second Summer of Love.

There may be nothing new here but as a homage to that time and the artists this is great. I have heard of SBTRKT before but not too much. If what he/they do is all like this I might become a fan.

For it's nostalgic value (if you are old enough to feel nostalgic) then give it a listen.
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment